For some people, blogging can be a fun, creative outlet. For others, it can be a good way to bring in extra income.
All of us like to save money and many blog platforms do not charge users for their services. However, these blogs also lack the features that can help bloggers make money.
If you are wondering how to start a blog that will make money, this article will give you all the information you need.
How Bloggers Make Money Blogging
Bloggers make most of their money through advertising and affiliate marketing. When it comes to advertising, bloggers can rent out space on their blogs to advertisers to produce revenue.
Affiliate marketing is another way bloggers can make money. It involves an arrangement where one online retailer pays another commission for the sales it generates from its referrals.
For example, a food blogger might devote a blog to writing about a food processor. If an affiliate marketing agreement is in place, the food processor company would then pay a commission to the blogger for all the sales they get as a result of the blog being published.
One of the reasons why starting a blog for free is a bad idea is because it limits what you can advertise or sell through affiliate marketing greatly reducing the blogger’s potential to produce revenue.
If you are wondering where to start a blog and make money, there are several platforms that allow you to start a blog and monetize it. Here are a few we recommend.
Start a Blog Bluehost
If you are looking to start a blog that pays, Bluehost is a great option.
Here are some benefits it offers:
- High Uptime: Many blog hosting services go offline temporarily due to technical difficulties. This can be damaging to a business’s reputation and it can affect their potential to make money. Bluehost is a reliable service with a 99% uptime rating so it will be there when you need it.
- Fast Server Speeds: Not only do users enjoy fast server speeds, web sites that load quickly will also rank higher in search engines.
- Daily Backups: Bluehost offers backups that ensure you won’t lose your content.
- Beginner Friendly: Bluehost makes the process of onboarding easy and extremely beginner friendly.
- Flexible and Scalable: Bluehost offers a variety of plans so you can scale up your site while staying with the same hosting provider.
- Affiliate Opportunities: Not only does Bluehost give you plenty of freedom regarding the affiliates they work with, they also have their own affiliate team. Bloggers that join can earn $65 for each qualified sign up they bring to the site.
Start a Blog Wix
Wix is another good option if you are looking to start a blog and earn money. However, for affiliate marketing purposes, many say that using Bluehost with a WordPress site builder is the money saving way to go.
That being stated, Wix does offer their own affiliate program which is aimed at bloggers who can drive traffic to the Wix site through their original content, articles, tutorials and more. Wix Affiliates start by earning $100 as a Premium User. Then they can get an unlimited payout based on the number of users they bring to the site.
Here are some other advantages of using Wix:
- Good Site Speed: Like Bluehost, Wix provides a good site speed that makes it user friendly and more likely to rank highly in search engines.
- Extensive Template Collection: Wix’s extensive template collection allows you to customize a site that suits your tastes and is less likely to look like every else’s.
- Intuitive Interface: Wix’s intuitive drag and drop interface makes it user friendly and beginner friendly.
- Variety of Apps Available: Wix allows you to add apps to your blog that provide features like forums, chats, event listings and more.
Start a Blog on Squarespace
Squarespace is another option for those looking to start a blog to earn money. This program does not have a built-in affiliate management company so you would have to use a third-party tool for your affiliate marketing needs.
Squarespace is also limited when it comes to other types of marketing tools. It has some basic tools as well as a few advanced ones. However, in comparison to other sites, it comes up lacking. Users can still use work-arounds to get more advanced results.
Despite Squarespace’s limitations, it does offer several benefits which are as follows:
- Great Template Designs: Squarespace has several templates available which are professional looking and can give your site a great aesthetic.
- All in One Platform: Squarespace’s all in one platform means you spend less time troubleshooting topics that fall outside of the customer support knowledge base. Analytics are also included. This ease of use allows bloggers to focus more on design and content.
- Good Customer Support: Squarespace offers 24/7 customer support as well as live chats and email tickets. They also provide video walkthroughs and guides that make the onboarding process easy.
- Backend Design: Squarespace’s backend design further adds to the user experience as well as the aesthetic of the sites.
Start a Blog with GoDaddy
GoDaddy is another option for those looking to start a blog get paid. The webhosting company encourages affiliate marketing and even provides articles to help bloggers market effectively. They also offer an affiliate marketing company that allows bloggers to earn a commission for users they bring to their site.
Bloggers can build a blog by using Go Daddy’s Go Central Site Builder.
Here are some of the benefits it offers:
- Ease of Use: Go Daddy is easy to use and works from any device. There are plenty of videos available that help new users get started.
- Monetization: In addition to providing options for affiliate marketing, bloggers can also add Google AdSense to increase revenue.
- SEO: GoDaddy offers an SEO Wizard that you can use to boost your blog in search engines.
- The site offers unlimited bandwidth.
Note: Although GoDaddy provides many benefits for its users, it has also been criticized for providing limited features. It’s blogging feature, in particular, doesn’t support RSS so readers can’t subscribe to your feed. You also can’t add tags or authors or edit SEO settings separately.
If you are using GoDaddy for blogging purposes, it may be best to load an external blog to the website.
Start a Blog with Site Ground
If you are looking to start a blog earn money, Site Ground is another option worth looking into. In addition to offering bloggers freedom in their affiliate marketing, they also provide their own affiliate program where bloggers can earn money by bringing users to the site.
Here are some other benefits Site Ground offers:
- Uptime Reliability: Site Ground has 100% uptime scores which means your site is highly likely to be available when you or your customers need it.
- Impressive Load Times: The fast load times Site Ground provides makes for a user-friendly site that is likely to rank highly on search engines.
- Quality Support: In addition to offering 24/7 support, Site Ground also has plenty of videos, live chat and other resources available to ensure their customers will get the answers they need in a timely fashion.
- CDN Service: Every Site Ground plan comes with a CDN service that increases site speed.
If you are starting a new business or looking to make extra income, you want to keep expenses down. However, investing in the right blogging service can increase your ability to produce revenue while providing you with a professional and user-friendly website that will give your company added credibility.
Which platform will you be using to boost your bottom line?